Science Department Goals
By the end of this school year,
- 80% of students reaching mastery 80% or higher on quarterly exams in each class.
- Overall passing percentage of students for Science ISTEP to show continual improvement for individual students.
This will be completed by:
- Students will develop knowledge, understanding, and skills sets based on the Indiana Science Standards through assessments in a variety of areas including labs, investigations, research, discussion, and presentation.
- Students will utilize and understand the process of the scientific method by following the guidelines in laboratory investigations and using the grading rubric for lab investigations.
- Technology will be used regularly to pursue academic excellence by supplementing and supporting instruction that is drive by the Indiana Science Standards and based in real-world applications.
- Teachers will guide students to connect each lesson to real world problems using a science focused, multidisciplinary approach.
- Students will take an active part in their own leaning by participating in group work, discussing ideas and concepts with peers and teachers, and taking ownership during investigations and labs.
Science Department Belief Statement
The Science Department believes that students learn best through hands-on, problem solving, and discovery-based learning. We believe science is best learned when connected to real-life experiences. Overall, we believe that a good science curriculum should motivate students to pursue further science education and science-related careers.
Terri Uchtman (Dept Head)